Monday, March 24, 2014

Air Angels

Have you ever had one of those days? You know, one of those days. The days that leave you edgy and short of breath, time and patience? I had one or two of those days this week and it got me thinking. I talked a little bit last week about the noise that we allow to seep in and steal our peace, but really the internal noise we create is far more insidious.

 

Internal noise? That could be anything really, anything emotional we carry around with us. Whether it's for a moment, an hour, a year or a lifetime. It's the extra 10, 20, 100 pounds we bash ourselves about not being able to shed. It's the "What did I do to her (or him) to make them dislike me so?" It's the jealousy of others possessions or station in life, the feelings of being inferior. It's guilt for being successful, having things. It's internal noise caused by fear of being a target of the gossipers around us who take such pleasure in dragging us through the mud. Our amusement at their entourage because they think they're immune to their vile-tongued friend. It's guilt for forgetting birthdays, not keeping the house spotless or even close to spotless. Guilt for moving to a small town where your child ended up being bullied. No one can quite create noise and distraction and steal our peace quite like we can and no one can beat us up better than we can beat up ourselves.

I have to learn to breath deeply, be still, calm the noise. Make air angels.
 

I think the key to this is different for everyone. For me, it's yoga (Remember me? "Hi, I'm Raine, I'm a Pisces and I make hemp soap." I joke only because I would really love to make hemp soap!) and writing. For my husband it's computer gaming and fishing (real fishing, not virtual fishing) For some, it's running, reading, crocheting, knitting, shopping, gardening. Some folks talk to friends and loved ones to help spread the load, making it easier to shoulder. Some turn to God on prayer, some meditate.

Whatever the medium you choose for painting your air angels, it comes down to one simple premise. Quietening the internal noise enough to be able to hear yourself being thankful. There is an instruction in my favorite yoga practice that says for you to pause and think about what you'd like to heal of what you'd like to practice gratitude for.

Practicing gratitude. Even in my worst moments or the times during my life when I'm faced with the biggest struggles I can find something to be thankful for, even if it's only "thank goodness it wasn't worse." When I practice yoga, my gratitude in the moment is that my body is strong enough to go thought even some of the postures. My form may not be ideal, my stamina may be lacking, but I can move and I can practice and I can become stronger. I can practice. Practice.

I will practice quietening my internal noise. I will practice gratitude. I will practice making air angels.

Namaste ya'll.

boxers photo credit: Foxtongue via photopin cc

early morning stretch (air angel) photo credit: Anemone Jones via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment